US: General Mills settles probiotic health claim lawsuit
General Mills settles YoPlus suit
General Mills has settled a lawsuit in the US questioning health claims associated with its YoPlus probiotic yoghurt.
A spokesperson for the group today (12 February) confirmed General Mills has agreed to settle a class action lawsuit that accused it of falsely advertising the digestive health benefits of its YoPlus probiotic yoghurt. The payout is expected to total around US$8.5m and General Mills will pay consumers $4 per unit purchased.
However, the spokesperson insisted General Mills is confident the health claims made in association with probiotic yoghurt products are accurate.
"We stand behind our products and the accuracy of our label - and we disagreed with plaintiffs on the merit of this case. But we agreed to resolve the matter to avoid further litigation," the spokesperson said.
General Mills did not comment on whether it is amending outbound communication around its YoPlus brand.
Probiotic health claims have come under increasing scrutiny in North America and, at the end of last year, Danone also agreed to settle a class action suit questioning the validity of its probiotic health claims.
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- PepsiCo "engaging" with Indofood on child labour
- Campaigners attack UK child obesity plan
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights