SPAIN: Genius extends Carrefour Spain supply deal
Genius Foods has extended its deal with Carrefour in Spain to supply the retailer with ten additional products.
The agreement is an extension of a deal struck with Carrefour in March, which saw the gluten-free firm supply the French retail giant with bread and pizza products.
Genius will now supply products including frozen croissant and pain au chocolat to the retailer, in a move which it says will accelerate its push into Europe. Spain is the first market outside the UK the company has a presence.
Its Genius pizza and bread is sold in 320 Carrefour stores across Spain, while its other products will be available in larger hypermarket outlets.
"The extended deal with Carrefour is another valuable stepping stone for us as we strive to become a household name in the European gluten-free market," said Genius chief executive Roz Cuschieri. "The growth opportunities for us in Europe are enormous."
All the Genius products will be manufactured in the UK and exported to Spain.
Genius products are stocked in major UK supermarkets and leading independent stores. According to the company, it has around a 50% share of the UK gluten-free bread markets.
On Thursday, two of the world's largest food retailers will report their 2012 financial results and, more importantly, try to convince investors their moves to improve their operations in key markets ...
In a week of results from major retailers, Carrefour cheered the market with improvement in France, upmarket UK grocer Waitrose highlighted its strong year and Belgium's Delhaize insisted its business...
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- Comment: Hain Celestial cognisant of US challenges
- Talking shop: Wal-Mart overhaul, Lidl's US charge
- Can dairy-free Flora lift Unilever spreads sales?
- Can Yildiz's new snacks unit match its ambitions?
- Mondelez continues to see margins up, sales mixed
- Unilever launches dairy-free Ben & Jerry's in US
- Arla eyes job cuts as part of 2020 growth push
- Premier Foods launches "first" American wet sauces
- Lactalis invests in Georgian dairy Sante