SPAIN: Genius extends Carrefour Spain supply deal
Genius Foods has extended its deal with Carrefour in Spain to supply the retailer with ten additional products.
The agreement is an extension of a deal struck with Carrefour in March, which saw the gluten-free firm supply the French retail giant with bread and pizza products.
Genius will now supply products including frozen croissant and pain au chocolat to the retailer, in a move which it says will accelerate its push into Europe. Spain is the first market outside the UK the company has a presence.
Its Genius pizza and bread is sold in 320 Carrefour stores across Spain, while its other products will be available in larger hypermarket outlets.
"The extended deal with Carrefour is another valuable stepping stone for us as we strive to become a household name in the European gluten-free market," said Genius chief executive Roz Cuschieri. "The growth opportunities for us in Europe are enormous."
All the Genius products will be manufactured in the UK and exported to Spain.
Genius products are stocked in major UK supermarkets and leading independent stores. According to the company, it has around a 50% share of the UK gluten-free bread markets.
On Thursday, two of the world's largest food retailers will report their 2012 financial results and, more importantly, try to convince investors their moves to improve their operations in key markets ...
In a week of results from major retailers, Carrefour cheered the market with improvement in France, upmarket UK grocer Waitrose highlighted its strong year and Belgium's Delhaize insisted its business...
- Kind CEO on FDA's labelling U-turn - interview
- Danone's global push for Danonino – interview
- How Hormel Foods can benefit from Justin's
- Tackling infant formula fraud in China
- RTRS looks for systemic solutions to progress
- Russia may renew food embargo again
- Nestle sets new savings target
- Fonterra dismisses claims CEO Spierings could exit
- News of week - Nestle, Wilmar, Danone
- Vandemoortele family to own 100% of bakery group