FRANCE/UAE: Georgia set to see first Carrefour store
The Eastern European country of Georgia is set to become the latest market to see a Carrefour store.
Majid Al Futtaim, Carrefour's franchise partner in the Middle East and north Africa, has said it will open an outlet under the French retail giant's fascia in the former Soviet state.
"We are continuing expansion of the Carrefour franchise, with plans to open two additional hypermarkets in the remainder of 2012, including our first store in Georgia this month," Majid Al Futtaim CEO Iyad Malas said yesterday (17 September) as the company announced its first-half results.
In the first six months of the year, Majid Al Futtaim opened the first Carrefour store in Iraq. It opened six Carrefour hypermarkets across its markets in total.
On Thursday, two of the world's largest food retailers will report their 2012 financial results and, more importantly, try to convince investors their moves to improve their operations in key markets ...
In a week of results from major retailers, Carrefour cheered the market with improvement in France, upmarket UK grocer Waitrose highlighted its strong year and Belgium's Delhaize insisted its business...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits