CHINA: GFSI safety scheme to help exports - China's COFCO
Taking part in the international Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) will help Chinese food group COFCO grow in overseas markets, the state-backed company has said.
Quality assurance manager Chen Zhigang said COFCO's bid to grow its food exports, will be assisted by GFSI certification.
The GFSI was an industry initiative launched in 2000 following a number of food safety crises hit consumer confidence.
Speaking at a GFSI conference in Beijing, Chen said COFCO's property arm was encouraging its food retail tenants to adopt the standard to boost sales among consumers wary of food safety in China.
Chen said membership of the GFSI had allowed COFCO executives to tour and learn from facilities run by Japanese retailer Aeon. He added COFCO's own suppliers have also been taken to GFSI member facilities "to learn from them".
Meanwhile, Hong Jiang, head of quality control at Chinese supermarket operator Vanguard, told the conference his firm will build 300 "showcase" shops with guaranteed high safety standards within three years. She said Vanguard controls distribution "field to fork" but needs better management particularly over in-store food additives, hygiene and raw materials.
State-owned Vanguard, which operates 450 stores in mainland China and Hong Kong is pursuing a policy of "reward and punish" said Hong, with prizes for managers of stores with the highest food safety performance. "Our annual quiz with 200,000 staff participating also helps raise food safety awareness."
French retail giant Carrefour has denied reports it is in talks with Hong Kong-based China Resources Enterprise about a potential partnership deal in the Chinese retail sector....
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- Greencore convenience focus delivers growth
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details