US: Giant Eagle confirms Toledo exit, 179 jobs axed
Giant Eagle has announced its exit from the Toledo market with the closure of two stores and accompanying gas stations in the area.
The move sees 179 staff lose their jobs when the stores close on 3 May 2014.
Giant Eagle has had a presence in Toledo for 13 years.
"Our decision to close these locations was made only after careful consideration, particularly given the impact on our Team Members and customers, and after significant efforts to differentiate these stores in the marketplace," said a spokesperson for Giant Eagle.
Giant Eagle, Inc. has made the decision to cease operations at its two Toledo supermarkets and accompanying fuel stations at the end of business on May 3, 2014.
“Our decision to close these locations was made only after careful consideration, particularly given the impact on our Team Members and customers, and after significant efforts to differentiate these stores in the marketplace,” said Giant Eagle Spokesperson Dan Donovan.
The company is thankful for the loyalty demonstrated by Team Members and customers for more than a decade, beginning with the opening of the Rossford Giant Eagle in 2001 and the West Central Avenue location in 2003. The stores and their Team Members have also enjoyed meaningful partnerships with many great organizations such as the Toledo Food Bank and the United Way, as well as the support provided to local schools through its Apples for the Students program. The company is extremely appreciative to have had the opportunity to support the Toledo community for the past 13 years.
Given the difficult nature of this decision, Giant Eagle is providing the 179 affected Team Members with a fair and equitable severance package to help with their transition.
Giant Eagle will continue to award fuelperks! earnings to customers making qualifying in-store purchases, enabling them to earn and redeem fuelperks! through the May 3 closing date.
Original source: Giant Eagle
The Kroger Co. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings...
Canadean's "Meijer, Inc.: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, ma...
Canadean's "The Kroger Co. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview,...
Kroger continues to fight for share in the extremely competitive grocery channel, holding a 7% value share for the category. Kroger continues to focus on its core supermarket business through acquisit...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019