MALAYSIA: Global halah market consolidating by new e-Xchange while no labelling statutory
A memorandum of understanding has been signed by a consortium of food manufacturers, with regard to a new proposal for halal certification. The official logo to guarantee halal produce is that of Jabatan Kemajuan Islam Malaysia (Jakim) but while this will help Muslims make easy food choices, Malaysian government minister Dr Abdul Hamid Othman, has announced that it will not be forced on any manufacturer. Othman explained that the government will not conduct research or issue certificates for "non halal" food because it may be prejudice against those manufacturer. He spoke at Cyberjaya yesterday (20 October), urging "the public should not be alarmed or misled by unfounded rumours."Nearly 1.3bn Muslims worldwide eat halal food as a symbol of their religious beliefs, and the global industry is huge, estimated to be worth US$150bn. Many US Islamic societies have undertaken to compile lists of non-halal foods, but many of the brands involved then met the local requirements for halal food The consortium members, including
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review