USA: Glossy coating for food wins US patent for Opta Food Ingredients
Opta Food Ingredients gained US patent 6197353 for its invention: "Gluten-derived colloidal dispersions, edible coatings therefrom and method of making."
This technology is dominated by Opta. Other current players are Enzytech, Euroceltique, and Midwest Grain Products.
Film forming colloidal dispersions containing gluten-derived proteins and peptides and their methods of manufacture are described. The colloidal dispersion can be coated onto a variety of substrates to provide a glossy sheen to the substrate. The colloidal dispersions can function as an adhesive for adhering particles onto the substrate. Foods coated with the colloidal dispersion are also described.
First of 19 Claims:
A method for producing an aqueous, gluten-derived colloidal dispersion, which upon application to a substrate imparts a gloss thereon, comprising:
a) preparing an aqueous dispersion of gluten under agitating conditions;
b) heating the product of step a) to a temperature sufficient to gelatinize the starch contained in the gluten;
c) hydrolyzing essentially all starch within the dispersion with a starch hydrolyzing enzyme;
d) hydrolyzing protein contained in the gluten using a protease under conditions sufficient to change the gluten dispersion viscosity; and
e) heating the colloidal dispersion to inactivate the protease and stabilize the colloidal dispersion; thereby producing an aqueous, gluten-derived colloidal dispersion which upon application to a substrate imparts a gloss thereon.
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- Amnesty - Global brands profit from labour abuses
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti