USA: Glut may result in dumping of 2 million salmon carcasses
Around two million pink salmon carcasses could be dumped into the ocean off Alaska because large numbers of fish at the Valdez hatchery have overwhelmed processors. The Solomon Gulch hatchery, operated by the non-profit Valdez Fisheries Development Association, releases 120 million pink salmon fry into the ocean each spring and expects most fish not to return 18 months later. The hatchery expected around 9.9 million to return this summer. Instead, around 20 million pink salmon are estimated to have returned, reported the Associated Press.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- What Premier CEO Gavin Darby thinks about Brexit
- Quorn CEO sets out stall for 2017 - interview
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti