UK/USA: GM crop trials in UK undermined by US investigation, says FOE
The GM crop trial programme in Britain has been thoroughly undermined by a new investigation into the use of weedkillers by US farmers growing GM crops, says environmental pressure group Friends of the Earth (FoE). The claim follows yesterday's [Tuesday] BBC "Newsnight" investigation. Although the GM trials in Britain involve the exclusive use of glufosinate ammonium (GA), farmers growing the same crop commercially in the US have resorted to a mix of GA and the far more damaging weedkiller Atrazine.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- Danone eyes efficiency, agility with new structure
- General Mills issues profit warning