AUSTRALIA: GM foods could bypass labelling laws
New labelling laws due to come into force in Australia next year, genetically modified foods could legally be sold without labels indicating the GM content. This is due to a loophole that stipulates that foods which do not already carry a produce label will not be required by law to carry a specific GM label. Conversely, foods that do already bear a label must be rebranded to alert consumers to the GM ingredients contained within.A spokesman for the Australia New Zealand Food Authority commented: "It's just the way labelling rules operate." Fresh produce rarely carries labels, and even packaged foods are likely to avoid the labelling requirement if they are sold in basic packaging without proper labels.In Europe, consumer associations would likely prompt an outcry if such a legal loophole were to be revealed. In Australia, consumers are not so highly sensitised to GM issues - time will tell whether public reaction will force the Government to change the law.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review