UK: GM weeds finally destroyed, says FOE
A week after Friends of the Earth reported the presence of GM oilseed rape 'weeds' on a Lincolnshire Farm Scale Trial site, biotech company Aventis has finally taken action. The weeds - which were flowering - have now been destroyed. FOE wrote to Margaret Beckett, Secretary of State at the Department of Environment, Food and Regional Affairs (DEFRA) on the morning of Friday 30th November informing her of the presence of the GM weeds at the Witham-on-the Hill farm scale trial site. The Government's GM Inspectorate delayed visiting the site until Monday 3rd December. It reported to DEFRA on Tuesday who ordered Aventis to destroy the weeds on Wednesday 5th December.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- What Premier CEO Gavin Darby thinks about Brexit
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti