UK: GM weeds finally destroyed, says FOE
A week after Friends of the Earth reported the presence of GM oilseed rape 'weeds' on a Lincolnshire Farm Scale Trial site, biotech company Aventis has finally taken action. The weeds - which were flowering - have now been destroyed. FOE wrote to Margaret Beckett, Secretary of State at the Department of Environment, Food and Regional Affairs (DEFRA) on the morning of Friday 30th November informing her of the presence of the GM weeds at the Witham-on-the Hill farm scale trial site. The Government's GM Inspectorate delayed visiting the site until Monday 3rd December. It reported to DEFRA on Tuesday who ordered Aventis to destroy the weeds on Wednesday 5th December.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action
- Brazil seeks to cool concerns over meat probe
- US meal delivery service Blue Apron buys BN Ranch