UK: GM weeds finally destroyed, says FOE
A week after Friends of the Earth reported the presence of GM oilseed rape 'weeds' on a Lincolnshire Farm Scale Trial site, biotech company Aventis has finally taken action. The weeds - which were flowering - have now been destroyed. FOE wrote to Margaret Beckett, Secretary of State at the Department of Environment, Food and Regional Affairs (DEFRA) on the morning of Friday 30th November informing her of the presence of the GM weeds at the Witham-on-the Hill farm scale trial site. The Government's GM Inspectorate delayed visiting the site until Monday 3rd December. It reported to DEFRA on Tuesday who ordered Aventis to destroy the weeds on Wednesday 5th December.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea
- Maple Leaf buys US plant-based group Lightlife