US: GMA, FMI foster industry-wide dialogue on sustainability
The Grocery Manufacturers Association and the Food Marketing Institute hope to encourage "every link in America's food chain" to come together and discuss issues surrounding the sustainability agenda at the jointly-hosted annual Sustainability Summit, taking place in Washington DC this week.
Speaking on behalf of the FMI David Fikes, director for community and consumer affairs and social responsibility, stressed the importance of cooperation on sustainability issues across the food chain.
The FMI launched the Sustainability Summit six years ago and the GMA became a joint sponsor for the event three years ago.
Addressing the conference yesterday (4 October), Fikes highlighted the significance of the partnership between the retailer association and the industry body representing food manufacturers. The FMI/GMA partnership made the conference "a food industry-wide event where every link in America's food chain can assemble to create an environment conducive to open conversation about the environment," Fikes said.
President and CEO of the GMA Pamela Bailey told her audience that the conference afforded sustainability experts the opportunity "to share successful practices in the sustainability area and lay the groundwork for even more progress in the years to come".
Sustainability is not a "fad or a lifestyle choice, it's a moral imperative", Bailey insisted.
The US food industry has welcomed the publishing of two major requirements by the US Food and Drug Administration aimed at helping prevent foodborne illnesses and improve food safety....
- Focus: The impact of Heinz's stevia ketchup
- Focus: Gen Mills turns to M&A to bolster US ops
- Viewpoint: US health food in play - at a price
- Shopper trends: Some confidence but promos popular
- Sustainability Watch: WhiteWave Foods
- Burton's "eyeing" United Biscuits merger
- Premier Foods revamp creates three divisions
- Unilever to boost presence in Nigeria
- General Mills Q1 profits tumble
- Timeline: Latest on battle over Chiquita