UK: GMB recognised at two more Asda depots
Asda workers at two distribution depots have voted in favour of GMB recognition this week.
Members at Chepstow distribution depot have voted by 90% for the recognition of the GMB union in a secret ballot conducted by Electoral Reform Services (ERS), the GMB said.
In addition, Asda workers at the Erith distribution depot have voted by 85% for GMB recognition in a separate ERS secret ballot.
It means that pay and terms and conditions of employment at the two depots will now be negotiated between local management and GMB representatives.
They are the first to be held at the Asda's 24 distribution depots under the agreement reached between GMB and Wal-Mart's UK subsidiary on 29 June 2006.
GMB now has collective bargaining rights in 11 of the 24 depots.
GMB General Secretary Paul Kenny said: "This exercise has been a great success for GMB, for Asda Wal-Mart and most of all for the employees at Chepstow and Erith depots.
"It is important to know how strongly Asda Wal-Mart workers value having an independent trade union voice at work. GMB looks forward to a long and constructive relationship with the company in these two depots, in the other twenty-two depots and in all the stores across the UK."
Ethical consumerism, the growth of the Internet, emerging markets and the threat private equity takeovers represent to retailers were among the wide range of issues discussed at the IGD Global Retaili...
Trade and private equity groups have declared an interest in Inter Link Foods, the chairman of the UK bakery group has told just-food....
US retail giant Wal-Mart has reported a 6.2% increase in earnings for the first quarter to US$2.83bn on sales 8.3% higher at $85.39bn. The company said earnings and sales for the first quarter represe...
Asda, the UK unit of Wal-Mart, has said that it will remove all artificial colourings and flavourings from its own-label food and drink products by the end of the year....
Asda, the UK unit of Wal-Mart, told just-food today (14 May) that the supermarket operator has a series of price cuts in the works....
Waitrose has revealed plans to remove free carrier bags from one of its stores in a two-week trial to encourage greener shopping practices....
Arla Foods' UK arm has again raised the price it pays to members of its milk suppliers....
Wal-Mart Stores yesterday (8 May) revealed that its Supercenter and Neighbourhood Market delis have moved to trans fat free oil for all on-site frying....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review