AUS/NZ: Goodman Fielder reveals pressure on NZ dairy profits
Goodman Fielder said milk costs jumped 40% in recent months
Australia-based food group Goodman Fielder has said a spike in milk prices and local competition means annual profits from its New Zealand dairy arm are likely to fall.
When Goodman Fielder reported results for its last financial year in August, it indicated it expected some pressure on margins from its dairy business in New Zealand in the new fiscal period.
The unit, which includes brands like Meadow Fresh milk and Chesdale cheese, accounted for 19% of Goodman Fielder's EBIT in its last financial year, when it saw earnings climb 18%.
In an update to shareholders on Friday (22 November), the company said farm-gate milk prices had jumped over 40% since June.
Goodman Fielder said it had been unable to recover the higher costs amid "aggressive competitor wholesale pricing". It warned normalised EBIT from the New Zealand dairy arm would be hit to the tune of A$8-10m (US$7.3-$9.2m) in the first half of its current financial year, which it was "very unlikely" to claw back later in the year.
The pressure on costs in New Zealand, combined with a doubling in marketing investment across its business, means Goodman Fielder continues to expect company profits to be "weighted significantly" to the second half, it added.
Companies: Goodman Fielder
Horsemeat returned to the headlines this week charges brought against a trader in the Netherlands. We interviewed one of the academics behind the UN's latest report on climate change, spoke to Arla Fo...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- General Mills to invest in "growth businesses"
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- UPDATE: Hershey rejects Mondelez takeover
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- ForeSights: Edible Cutlery; Cutlery made out of food-grade materials instead of plastic
- Fast Food in India