AUS/NZ: Goodman Fielder reveals pressure on NZ dairy profits
Goodman Fielder said milk costs jumped 40% in recent months
Australia-based food group Goodman Fielder has said a spike in milk prices and local competition means annual profits from its New Zealand dairy arm are likely to fall.
When Goodman Fielder reported results for its last financial year in August, it indicated it expected some pressure on margins from its dairy business in New Zealand in the new fiscal period.
The unit, which includes brands like Meadow Fresh milk and Chesdale cheese, accounted for 19% of Goodman Fielder's EBIT in its last financial year, when it saw earnings climb 18%.
In an update to shareholders on Friday (22 November), the company said farm-gate milk prices had jumped over 40% since June.
Goodman Fielder said it had been unable to recover the higher costs amid "aggressive competitor wholesale pricing". It warned normalised EBIT from the New Zealand dairy arm would be hit to the tune of A$8-10m (US$7.3-$9.2m) in the first half of its current financial year, which it was "very unlikely" to claw back later in the year.
The pressure on costs in New Zealand, combined with a doubling in marketing investment across its business, means Goodman Fielder continues to expect company profits to be "weighted significantly" to the second half, it added.
Companies: Goodman Fielder
Horsemeat returned to the headlines this week charges brought against a trader in the Netherlands. We interviewed one of the academics behind the UN's latest report on climate change, spoke to Arla Fo...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Food industry news of week: GMOs, Arla, Mondelez
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia