AUS/NZ: Goodman Fielder reveals pressure on NZ dairy profits
Goodman Fielder said milk costs jumped 40% in recent months
Australia-based food group Goodman Fielder has said a spike in milk prices and local competition means annual profits from its New Zealand dairy arm are likely to fall.
When Goodman Fielder reported results for its last financial year in August, it indicated it expected some pressure on margins from its dairy business in New Zealand in the new fiscal period.
The unit, which includes brands like Meadow Fresh milk and Chesdale cheese, accounted for 19% of Goodman Fielder's EBIT in its last financial year, when it saw earnings climb 18%.
In an update to shareholders on Friday (22 November), the company said farm-gate milk prices had jumped over 40% since June.
Goodman Fielder said it had been unable to recover the higher costs amid "aggressive competitor wholesale pricing". It warned normalised EBIT from the New Zealand dairy arm would be hit to the tune of A$8-10m (US$7.3-$9.2m) in the first half of its current financial year, which it was "very unlikely" to claw back later in the year.
The pressure on costs in New Zealand, combined with a doubling in marketing investment across its business, means Goodman Fielder continues to expect company profits to be "weighted significantly" to the second half, it added.
Companies: Goodman Fielder
Horsemeat returned to the headlines this week charges brought against a trader in the Netherlands. We interviewed one of the academics behind the UN's latest report on climate change, spoke to Arla Fo...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019