JAPAN: Government lambasted for BSE occurrence; 100 days of epidemic milestone
One hundred days have passed since the first case of BSE was officially confirmed in Japan on 22 September last year, and with the milestone came fresh criticism that the government has not done enough to support the nation's cattle industry, counter the spread of the disease or reassure consumers.
Experts have pinpointed the government's decision to wait until 1996 to offer farmers an "administrative guidance" to avoid meat and bone meal, as instrumental in the occurrence of BSE. The agriculture ministry was allegedly warned to ban the feedstuff in law years earlier; in late 2000, the European Union told the Japanese government that its continued importation MBM from Europe was creating a high risk of the spread of the disease.
Food nutrition professor Atsushi Terada, from the Nippon Veterinary and Animal Science University, told Japan Today: "The agriculture ministry should he held responsible for this decision."
The US Department of Agriculture says it has identified the source of the case of BSE confirmed recently....
US agriculture secretary Mike Johanns has announced that the US Department of Agriculture has received final test results from the Veterinary Laboratories Agency in Weybridge, England, confirming that...
Biotechnology company Vacci-Test Corporation has announced that a simple, reliable and economical diagnostic tool for the detection in live cattle of infectious brain diseases, including Bovine Spongi...
The US Department of Agriculture has said a suspected BSE sample has been sent to the UK for further testing after two separate tests gave different results....
The Ugandan government has banned the import of all dairy products to stop the possible entry of the disease BSE, according to the agency AFP....
Japan's independent Food Safety Commission has today (Friday) approved an easing of the blanket testing of all cows for BSE, paving the way for lifting an import ban on US beef, the Kyodo news agency ...
US meat company Tyson Foods Inc has reported lower income, despite higher sales, for the quarter and half year ended 2 April....
US meat company has filed a brief supporting the US Department of Agriculture's appeal against a recent court decision that has delayed the reopening of the US border to Canadian cattle imports....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review