US: Government opens probe into Del Monte takeover
Bloomberg said Del Monte Foods is under investigation by the US Department for Justice
The US Department of Justice (DoJ) has opened a probe into the US$5bn takeover of Del Monte Foods, according to reports.
Bloomberg today (29 November) said that court papers regarding an investor settlement over the transaction had been submitted that show the government body is investigating the company's acquisition by private equity investors led by KKR in March.
Del Monte was not immediately available for comment. A spokesperson from the US Department of Justice said: "We won't be commenting one way or the other."
Del Monte Foods reported falling sales and profits from its consumer foods arm as it booked a decline in earnings for the third quarter of its financial year....
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- Analysis: Market bets on higher Chiquita offer
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- Nestle makes "major pledge" on animal welfare