UK: Government proposes ban on junk food TV adverts before 9pm
The UK government is to propose a pre-9pm ban on television advertisements for unhealthy foods as part of a plan to improve public health.
The Public Health White Paper, to be published this week, also includes proposals for a voluntary traffic light labelling system to help consumers identify healthy and unhealthy foods, reported BBC News Online
The paper had been expected to call for a ban on junk food adverts during children's TV hours, but Ofcom research suggested that 70% of children's TV viewing occurs between 6pm and 9pm.
The restrictions would affect products high in fat, salt or sugar, such as burgers, crisps, soft drinks, certain breakfast cereals and fish fingers, the BBC said.
"It's school dinner, Jim, but not as you know it…" Out with overprocessed boil-in-a-bag gunk in the shape of a spaceship. In with local, organic, fresh food and cooks who know how to prepare it. Cathe...
The food industry in the United States has been struggling with accusations that it is responsible for the country's "obesity epidemic" but companies are now developing strategies to deal with the pro...
Doctors' group the Australian Medical Association has launched a plan to improve nutrition and fight Australia's soaring obesity rate....
The British Heart Foundation has launched a new campaign aimed at encouraging children to think about what is in their food....
The government is set to announce a ban on unhealthy foods in English school meals and vending machines....
Most adults blame the parents for America's child obesity problem, according to a report by market analysts Mintel....
Doctors' group the British Medical Association has called for a serious of measures to combat childhood obesity including no 'junk' food advertising or sponsorship and bans on 'unhealthy' food and dri...
An American politician has chastised US food and entertainment companies for their marketing practices. "Does Shrek want you to eat junk food?" asked Iowa Senator and former presidential candidate Tom...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis