ITALY/FRANCE: Granarolo to acquire CIPF Codipal cheese group
Italian dairy group Granarolo has announced its entry into France via the acquisition of French cheesemaker CIPF Codipal for an undisclosed fee.
Granarolo said yesterday (10 January) it will acquire CIPF Codipal from holding firm Compagnie du Forum in a deal that will add around EUR100m of sales to the Italian co-operative's current business.
The firm will take an initial majority shareholding in February, and plans to acquire full ownership in April 2014.
The move gives Granarolo a foothold in France, opening up a new front against French-owned Italian rival, Parmalat, as well as expanding the firm's international business via a greater presence in cheese. CIPF Codipal specialises in Italian cheeses and has a siginificant presence in France's private label market.
Granarolo said that, following the acquisition, cheese will account for 40% of its sales, versus 18% in 2011. Group chairman Gianpiero Calzolari said the deal is of "great importance" to the group's plan to increase its international presence, as part of its strategic plan up to 2016.
Parmalat has labelled a report that an Italian court has recommended another cut to the price it paid for the US arm of majority shareholder Lactalis as "rumours"....
The trends seen in cheese over the review period continued to strengthen in 2012. These trends included a greater interest in convenient products, such as pre-packaged and grated cheeses, as well as g...
As in 2011, the economic downturn continued to favour a return to home cooking. This supported sales of basic ingredients such as oils and fats which had 1% volume and value growth in 2012. Oils and f...
In 2012 health and indulgence were the main factors impacting other dairy in Italy. Therefore almost all categories registered a volume decline, with few exceptions including soy-based desserts, chill...
Yoghurt was one of the most dynamic areas in dairy in 2012 in Italy, thanks to a wave of new product developments. Two main trends characterise the Italian yoghurt environment in 2012. On the one side...
- Why data is key to shopper satisfaction
- Interview: Premier sets sights overseas
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Sustainability Watch: Roberto Ciati, Barilla
- Short-termism decides Chiquita's future
- Hovis CEO Spooner leaves bread maker
- Glanbia chairman to step down
- General Mills to launch "Ancient Grains" Cheerios
- Kellogg earnings beat forecast but sales pressured
- Hershey lowers FY sales, earnings forecasts
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Supermarkets in China
- Pubs & Bars in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Consumer Trends Analysis: Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the Chinese Confectionery Food Market
- Kerry Group plc - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report