US: Greek yoghurt heads IRI US new products poll
Dannon Light Fit & Greek enjoyed highest year-one sales, IRI said
The French giant's Dannon Light & Fit Greek and the US group's Yoplait Greek 100 took the top two spots in IRI's New Product Pacesetters survey, which measures a product's sales in the first year it is on US shelves.
The Dannon line led the list with sales of US$144.9m; the Yoplait product was second after enjoying sales $135.1m.
Demand for Greek yoghurt in the US has soared in recent years. Another Danone line - Dannon Oikos Greek yoghurt - topped last year's Pacesetters poll. However, the sale of that product in its first year stood at almost double that of Light Fit & Greek, with sales of $283.2m.
A third yoghurt brand - Müller - made this year's list, coming in sixth, generating $95.8m in sales after its launch through a local venture with PepsiCo.
Snack lines were third and fourth. Kellogg’s Special K Pastry Crisps brought in sales worth $100.6m, followed closely by PepsiCo's Tostitos Cantina Tortilla Chips, which rung up $100.3m in sales.
Kellogg had two products in this year's list. The company's Special K Flatbread Breakfast Sandwiches was ninth, with sales of $77.9m.
Atkins Frozen Meals came in at ten after seeing sales hit $74m in its first year on sale.
The list was rounded out by three beverage lines. The highest new drink product was at five, with Anheuser-Busch InBev's Bud Light Lime Lime-A-Rita generating $97.4m in sales.
At seven was Green Mountain Roasters' Eight O'Clock K-Cups coffee line, which enjoyed sales of $89.8m. Pepsi Next was a spot behind in eighth, with sales of $83.2m.
"Innovation in 2013 is all about healthier-for-you products," Susan Viamari, editor of thought leadership at IRI, said. "Healthy is truly everywhere."
IRI said 73 of the top 100 products in the poll offered a "healthier-for-you benefit".
In a separate poll focusing squarely on first-year sales of products in US convenience stores, PepsiCo's Doritos Jacked came in ninth with sales of $25.9m. Beverage products dominated the list. Monster Beverage Corp.'s Monster Energy Ultra line was the best-selling line in US c-stores, generating sales of $268.2m.
Kellogg Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
Canadean's "Kellogg Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a ...
Canadean's "General Mills, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Aldi reformulates US private-label lines
- Premier Foods adds to Bisto range
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis