UK: Greencore agrees pay deal, ends dispute
Greencore, which supplies cakes and desserts to supermarkets, said discussions with Unite had now ended
Convenience food group Greencore has agreed a pay deal with UK workers at its cake facility in Hull, putting an end to a long-running dispute at the site.
Unite the union said an offer had been "overwhelmingly accepted" yesterday (4 March), following a ballot of 500 workers at the site in the north of England.
The dispute was over Unite claims that Greencore withdrew premium rates for overtime, shift working and bank holidays. It had involved a long campaign of demonstrations against the company, culminating in a 24-hour strike at the end of January. A further 48-hour strike planned for last week, however, was suspended when management agreed to reinstate all premium rates and award a pay increase, the union said.
"I'm so proud of our members for the stand they took, because Unite refused to accept these attacks. Our membership at the site has grown by over 200, proving that workers want and need a union that gives strong leadership," said Unite site convenor Pete Ford. "We now hope we can move forward with a much more positive working relationship with management here in Hull."
Greencore, which supplies cakes and desserts to supermarkets, said discussions with Unite had now ended in an arrangement that is "mutually satisfactory for both the company and its employees".
"Greencore is pleased to be drawing a line under the process and it looks forward to continuing its good relationship with its colleagues at the facility," a spokesperson said.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- How to win in Australian gluten-free cereal
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Brexit - Europe's food makers call result "a blow"
- Brexit - Irish food export agency sounds warning
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights