US: Greencore to consolidate US production in new site
Greencore invests in US production
Greencore is investing in a new sandwich manufacturing facility to serve the north-east of the US, a move that will see production end at two other sites.
The company is spending GBP20m (US$33.1m) on the new site, to be located in Quonset in Rhode Island.
The company will transfer production from its two existing facilities in Massachusetts, with production at these locations to be phased out between April and September next year.
Greencore said the Quonset facility was "strategically located" to serve existing New England markets and expand into new markets "closer to New York". The 100,000 square foot facility will have "sufficient capacity" to support ongoing growth, the Ireland-based food firm indicated.
CEO Patrick Coveney said: "This investment will significantly enhance our capability and capacity to serve the sandwich market in the north-eastern region of the US, and will also enable us to drive further growth with current customers."
Scheduled to open in spring next year, 370 people will initially be employed at the site.
Greencore stressed that it has offered workers at the Massachusetts facilities new positions at the Rhode Island plant. However, it did not reveal how many jobs would be lost as a consequence of the move.
The company will register impairment costs of GBP8m as well as cash exit and start-up costs estimated at GBP3m.
Greencore Group plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Chilled & Deli Food in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016)....
Chilled & Deli Food in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and foreca...
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Japan's Sanyo takes stake in Olam's food biz
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide