US: Greencore to consolidate US production in new site
Greencore invests in US production
Greencore is investing in a new sandwich manufacturing facility to serve the north-east of the US, a move that will see production end at two other sites.
The company is spending GBP20m (US$33.1m) on the new site, to be located in Quonset in Rhode Island.
The company will transfer production from its two existing facilities in Massachusetts, with production at these locations to be phased out between April and September next year.
Greencore said the Quonset facility was "strategically located" to serve existing New England markets and expand into new markets "closer to New York". The 100,000 square foot facility will have "sufficient capacity" to support ongoing growth, the Ireland-based food firm indicated.
CEO Patrick Coveney said: "This investment will significantly enhance our capability and capacity to serve the sandwich market in the north-eastern region of the US, and will also enable us to drive further growth with current customers."
Scheduled to open in spring next year, 370 people will initially be employed at the site.
Greencore stressed that it has offered workers at the Massachusetts facilities new positions at the Rhode Island plant. However, it did not reveal how many jobs would be lost as a consequence of the move.
The company will register impairment costs of GBP8m as well as cash exit and start-up costs estimated at GBP3m.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Chilled & Deli Food in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contain...
Chilled & Deli Food in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile ...
The fruit & vegetable processing industry has been divided into processed fruits & vegetables, and processing equipment for fruits & vegetables. The fruit & vegetable processing market is projected to...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global savory & deli foods market during February 2014....
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)