UK: Greencore workers back strike action
Workers at a Greencore cake production site will stage a 24-hour strike next week in protest at changes to terms and conditions.
According to Unite, the union representing workers at the facility in Hull, the company has imposed cuts to pay of up to GBP40 per week.
Last year, an employment tribunal forced Greencore to pay compensation to workers totalling GBP1.2m. In 2001, employees had agreed to temporarily forego premium pay rates to "help the company during difficult trading". However, when trading conditions picked up the company did not revert back to original terms of employments.
According to Unite, the latest cuts are an attempt by Greencore to side-step the tribunal ruling by issuing new contracts.
"When brought into line by the law, Greencore simply ignores it. Imagine if this workforce had a similar disregard for the laws of this land? They would face jail, not the praise of analysts revelling in the GBP70m in profits alone this company generated last year," union officer Jennie Formby said.
Greencore was not available for comment at the time of press.
Campbell Soup Co. became the third major multinational to invest in the buoyant organic baby food sector in a month with a deal to buy US firm Plum Organics. Danone is another of the three food giants...
Plum Organics this week joined Happy Family and Ella's Kitchen as three organic baby food brands set to have new, multinational owners. Campbell Soup Co. is to buy Plum, joining Danone and Hain Celest...
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities