PORTUGAL: Grocers criticise new promo law
Pingo Doce owner Jeronimo Martins has warned about impact on negotiations with suppliers
Portugal's retailers have warned a controversial new law restricting supermarket discounts will harm consumers, food suppliers and retailers.
The president of the Association of Portuguese Distributors (APED) has said the "negative impacts" of the law would cause price rises.
Ana Isabel Trigo Morais warned its text was "confusing" and would be "impossible to apply". As a result, it "will be highly damaging to the existing relations between suppliers and retailers".
The legislation, which came into force on Tuesday (25 February), tries to define illegal loss leaders in relation to the price paid by retailers, taking into account promises of future discounts. Rule-breaking retailers will pay fines ranging from EUR50,000 to EUR2.5 million depending on their size.
Pedro Soares dos Santos, president of Portuguese retail giant Jerónimo Martins, claimed the law would make it harder for retailers to strike contracts with suppliers, given the fluctuations of purchase process and the need to maintain retail price points.
However, he added: "Nobody quite knows what the real implications of this will be."
Consumer rights groups were not formally consulted during the drafting of the new law.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities