PORTUGAL: Grocers criticise new promo law
Pingo Doce owner Jeronimo Martins has warned about impact on negotiations with suppliers
Portugal's retailers have warned a controversial new law restricting supermarket discounts will harm consumers, food suppliers and retailers.
The president of the Association of Portuguese Distributors (APED) has said the "negative impacts" of the law would cause price rises.
Ana Isabel Trigo Morais warned its text was "confusing" and would be "impossible to apply". As a result, it "will be highly damaging to the existing relations between suppliers and retailers".
The legislation, which came into force on Tuesday (25 February), tries to define illegal loss leaders in relation to the price paid by retailers, taking into account promises of future discounts. Rule-breaking retailers will pay fines ranging from EUR50,000 to EUR2.5 million depending on their size.
Pedro Soares dos Santos, president of Portuguese retail giant Jerónimo Martins, claimed the law would make it harder for retailers to strike contracts with suppliers, given the fluctuations of purchase process and the need to maintain retail price points.
However, he added: "Nobody quite knows what the real implications of this will be."
Consumer rights groups were not formally consulted during the drafting of the new law.
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis