PORTUGAL: Grocers criticise new promo law
Pingo Doce owner Jeronimo Martins has warned about impact on negotiations with suppliers
Portugal's retailers have warned a controversial new law restricting supermarket discounts will harm consumers, food suppliers and retailers.
The president of the Association of Portuguese Distributors (APED) has said the "negative impacts" of the law would cause price rises.
Ana Isabel Trigo Morais warned its text was "confusing" and would be "impossible to apply". As a result, it "will be highly damaging to the existing relations between suppliers and retailers".
The legislation, which came into force on Tuesday (25 February), tries to define illegal loss leaders in relation to the price paid by retailers, taking into account promises of future discounts. Rule-breaking retailers will pay fines ranging from EUR50,000 to EUR2.5 million depending on their size.
Pedro Soares dos Santos, president of Portuguese retail giant Jerónimo Martins, claimed the law would make it harder for retailers to strike contracts with suppliers, given the fluctuations of purchase process and the need to maintain retail price points.
However, he added: "Nobody quite knows what the real implications of this will be."
Consumer rights groups were not formally consulted during the drafting of the new law.
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report