USA: Grocery Manufacturers of America statement on Kraft Foods, Inc. voluntary Taco Shell recall
The Grocery Manufacturers of America issued the following statement today from President and Chief Executive Officer C. Manly Molpus following a voluntary recall issued by Kraft Foods, Inc.:"Kraft Foods, Inc. has acted in the best interest of its consumers in the decision to voluntarily recall specific taco shell products from grocery stores."We believe that this situation suggests there may be some improvements needed in the regulatory system. Kraft has made specific suggestions for enhancing the safe entry of biotech foods into the marketplace that we believe merit serious consideration by the appropriate regulatory agencies. In comments filed earlier this year with the Food and Drug Administration, GMA called for mandatory review by FDA of all new plant biotechnology products, which is among the suggestions offered by Kraft."GMA will be working with federal agencies in the days to come to evaluate what steps may need to be taken to prevent this situation from occurring again."GMA is the world's largest association of food, beverage and consumer product companies. With U.S. sales of more than $460 billion, GMA members employ more than 2.5 million workers in all 50 states. The organization applies legal, scientific and political expertise from its member companies to vital food, nutrition and public policy issues affecting the industry. Led by a board of 44 Chief Executive Officers, GMA speaks for food and consumer product manufacturers at the state, federal and international levels on legislative and regulatory issues. The association also leads efforts to increase productivity, efficiency and growth in the food, beverage and consumer products industry.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review