USA: New York Firm Recalls Ground Beef Products For Possible E. coli O157:H7
Waldbaum's Supermarket, a Lawrence, N.Y., firm is voluntarily recalling approximately 158 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service announced today.The ground beef products being recalled are "MASTER CHOICE ALL NATURAL GROUND BEEF 75% LEAN," "MASTER CHOICE ALL NATURAL GROUND CHUCK 81% LEAN," "MASTER CHOICE ALL NATURAL GROUND ROUND 85% LEAN," and "MASTER CHOICE ALL NATURAL GROUND SIRLOIN 90% LEAN" packed in one to three pound packages. Each package has a date of "JUN26." The ground beef was produced on June 26 and sold only at Waldbaum's Supermarket at Bay and Rockaway Boulevard, Lawrence, N.Y., 11559."Because of the potential hazard of foodborne illness from consumption of meat products contaminated with pathogens such as E. coli O157:H7, I urge consumers who have purchased the suspect product not to eat it and return it to the place of purchase," said Margaret Glavin, FSIS associate administrator. "USDA is informing the public so consumers who may have purchased and stored the product in their refrigerators or freezers can know to check." The problem was discovered through routine FSIS microbiological sampling.E. coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly pathogen that can cause bloody diarrhea and dehydration. The very young, the elderly, and persons with compromised immune systems are the most susceptible to foodborne illness.FSIS has received no reports of illnesses associated with consumption of this product. Anyone concerned about an illness should contact a physician.Consumers and media with questions about the recall may contact Andrew Carrano, vice president of customer marketing, at (201) 802-3581.Consumers with food safety questions can phone the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-800-535-4555. The hotline can be reached from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday, and recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016