USA: Ground Beef Products Recalled from Michigan Firm for Possible E. coli O157:H7
Bert HazeKamp & Son, Inc., a Muskegon, Mich., firm is voluntarily recalling approximately 11,000 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service announced today. The ground beef products being recalled are one and two pound packages of "D&W HAMBURGER," "D&W GROUND BEEF," " D&W GROUND ROUND," and "D&W GROUND SIRLOIN." Each package has a code of "181," and bears the establishment number "10017" inside the USDA seal of inspection.The ground beef was produced on June 29 and distributed to retail establishments in the following counties in Michigan: Kent, Ottawa, Muskegon, Van Buren, Berrien, Kalamazoo, and Newaygo."Because of the potential hazard of foodborne illness from consumption of meat products contaminated with pathogens such as the E. coli O157:H7 bacteria, I urge consumers who have purchased the suspect product not to eat it and return it to the place of purchase,"said Thomas J. Billy, FSIS administrator. "USDA is informing the public so consumers who may have purchased and stored the product in their refrigerators or freezers can know to check."The problem was discovered through routine FSIS microbiological sampling.E. coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly pathogen that can cause bloody diarrhea and dehydration. The very young, the elderly, and persons with compromised immune systems are the most susceptible to foodborne illness.FSIS has received no reports of illnesses associated with consumption of this product. Anyone concerned about an illness should contact a physician.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review