UK: Tesco CEO: Harder to win trust in digital era
Clarke said "a few can make a noise and be heard"
Tesco, the UK's largest retailer, has conceded it is facing something of a battle to win consumer trust in the "new" digital era of retailing.
CEO Philip Clarke said today (12 March) the "digital revolution" has resulted in a "rapid period of change" in UK retail.
Retailers are now working to meet the needs of "connected, informed, demanding, twenty-first century consumers", he said. As the pace of change in consumer expectations and buying patters gathers pace, it is putting "pressures on old established business models", Clarke told the Retail Week conference in London.
One of the major challenges Tesco faces is winning the trust of consumers in the face of some vocal critics, such as pressure group Tescopoly, which has made their presence felt through social media outlets.
"In this open world now a few can make a noise and be heard," Clarke commented on Tesco's critics. "I know that our business is getting better. There is a lag between it getting better and people talking about it."
The company also took a reputational hit when it became embroiled in last year's horsemeat scandal. A number of Tesco private-label products, including frozen beef burgers and spaghetti bolognese, were found to contain undeclared horsemeat that made its way into the supply chain as part of a Europe-wide fraud.
As a result, Clarke stressed success in a digital world "also requires honesty" and supply chain transparency.
"Bigger is no longer seen as better by today's customers... We have to open up our business," Clarke said. "We as a business have to work harder to demonstrate to our customers how we use our scale for the benefit of the communities that we serve."
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Poland....
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Czech Republic....
This is a detailed report covering Tesco Kipa’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Turkey....
Canadean's "Tesco Kipa Kitle Pazarlama Ticaret ve Gida Sanayi A.S. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- General Mills to work on artificial ingredients
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020