SPAIN: HD Covalco to extend Spar footprint
HD Covalco, the largest licensee of Spar stores in Spain, is to open another 90 stores in the country.
The family-owned company, which also owns the Coaliment co-operative, as well as some 61 Comerco and BonMerkat cash-and-carry stores, said Spar sales rose 19% last year.
HD Covalco director Josep Saperas said many of the new Spar stores opened in Spain have been opened by immigrants wishing to run their own businesses.
In 2006, the Catalan company recorded turnover of EUR356m (US$478.5m).
Tesco has reportedly made a bid to buy Tengelmann's Plus stores in the Czech Republic....
German retail group Tengelmann has insisted talks over the future of its Plus business are ongoing, despite reports claiming deals could be signed in days....
Spar has been linked with a EUR100m (US$146.8m) bid for the Austrian retail outlets of German conglomerate Tengelmann....
Netherlands-based retailer Spar expects to open over 250 supermarkets in Spain by 2012 to profit from the country's growing foodstuffs market....
- Analysis: Post discusses rationale for Weetabix
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Unilever buys US condiments maker Sir Kensington's
- Ice cream helps Unilever sales, food flat
- Suntory to offload Australia, New Zealand foods
- Nestle organic growth slows but beats expectations
- Post: Weetabix "opens up M&A opportunities"