EU: Health & wellness still driving growth – research
European consumers remain concerned about issues surrounding health and wellness and are increasingly sophisticated in their attitudes towards diet and food labelling, a new study has suggested.
The study, which was released today (19 October) by sweetener and ingredients group Tate & Lyle, found that 53% of consumers in Germany, France the UK, Spain and Italy "often" check nutritional information on-pack, and 57% check the ingredient list.
According to the researcher's findings, "at least half" of consumers see less fat and sugar as important in informing product choices.
Additionally, around 80% of respondents noted that they would be prepared to spend more on specific claims which have so far been less common in some countries, such as "improving cardiovascular health" and "helps to control cholesterol".
"Understanding that consumers still view health and wellness as extremely important and look to on-pack labelling for guidance, will enable our customers to respond to these consumers preferences,"Anne Barry, marketing officer at Tate & Lyle Food and Industrial Ingredients, Europe, said.
The survey, conducted in July 2009, polled 1,565 people in Germany, France, UK, Spain and Italy.
Sectors: Baby food, Bakery, Chilled foods, Commodities & ingredients, Confectionery, Dairy, Fresh produce, Frozen, Health & wellness, Meat & poultry, Natural & organic, NPD & innovation, Seafood, Snacks
Companies: Tate & Lyle plc
The Fairtrade Foundation said it is important to engage more mainstream businesses into adopting certification following Ben & Jerry's commitment this morning (18 February) to go 100% Fairtrade....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016