US: Heart healthy pizza developed
A US man has developed a method of fortifying pizza with heart healthy brain sterols.
Heart Healthy Road Pizza, the brainchild of Ira Scott, will shortly be available in the freezer aisles of convenience stores and food retailers such as Wild Oats and Trader Joe's throughout the US.
"I had the idea for a health pizza several years ago, but no one would listen," Scott said. "I eventually worked with some plant sterol experts and designed a method to incorporate plant sterols into the pizza dough and into the cheese."
Each serving of the cholesterol lowering California-style pizza contains a gram of Kosher-certified VitaSterols, Scott said.
Plant sterols are clinically shown to lower cholesterol as a part of a heart-healthy diet and have been the focus of product development in the functional food category.
Scott believes that the marriage of fast food and functional food will prove a hit with consumers. He is in talks with a number of large multiples, including Yum Brands, with an eye to increasing production and distribution.
While supermarket trolleys often seem to have minds of their own, one day it appears they actually will. The 'intelligent' trolley was one innovation being showcased at the recent Institute of Grocery...
The Hershey Company has reported a fall in earnings for its third quarter and lowered its full year estimates....
The UK retail executive who led the transformation of the Asda grocery chain will have a key advisory role in the proposed Wesfarmers acquisition of Coles....
Hindustan Unilever(HUL), India's largest FMCG player, has identified the top end of the food market as a growth opportunity for the business....
Frutarom Industries has signed an agreement to acquire 100% of the share capital of the German companies Gewurzmuller GmbH and Blessing Biotech GmbH, for a cash payment of US$67m....
X5 Retail Group, Russia's largest food retailer by sales, has seen third-quarter sales jump 20%....
Lawson, Japan's second-largest convenience retailer, has cut its full-year sales forecast, despite enjoying a rise in first-half profit....
Belgium-based retailer Delhaize has signed a deal with Pinguin that will see the vegetable processor produce a range of frozen ready meals for the company....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review