USA/UK: Heinz confirms it is buying HP, Lea & Perrins
H J Heinz Company has today (Monday) confirmed that it has signed a definitive agreement with Groupe Danone SA to acquire a number of leading culinary sauce brands for £470m (US$855m) in cash.
The transaction includes the HP and Lea & Perrins brands and a perpetual license to market Amoy Asian sauces and products in Europe, Heinz said.
These brands, marketed primarily in the UK, United States and Canada, have approximately $300m in worldwide annual sales. This acquisition will strengthen Heinz's global condiments & sauces business and make it the sauces leader in the UK, Heinz said.
"The acquisition of these brands is consistent with our strategy to drive growth in our profitable and expanding core condiments and sauces category," said Heinz chairman, president and CEO William R. Johnson. "We will add two of the world's best-known sauce names, HP and Lea & Perrins, to our global basket of iconic condiments and sauce brands, such as Heinz, ABC, Classico and Wattie's. Heinz also will gain a perpetual license to sell the rapidly growing Amoy brand of Asian sauces throughout Europe."
"This acquisition underscores our commitment to become a faster-growing, more focused company," he said. "It also is in line with our strategy of growth in our four core businesses of ketchup, condiments & sauces; meals & snacks; infant nutrition; and foodservice. We have identified many opportunities to expand sales of the HP, Lea & Perrins and Amoy brands."
The acquisition is expected to close during the next few months, pending all regulatory approvals.
HP Foods employs approximately 450 workers at three factories. Two are located in the UK at Aston Cross, Birmingham and Worcester, Worcestershire. The North American production facility is in Fair Lawn, New Jersey.
H J Heinz Company has announced the promotion of Jeffrey P Berger to executive vice president. He will be responsible for the company's global foodservice business....
H J Heinz Company has announced the appointment of Jane S Miller as president of its UK and Ireland business unit....
H J Heinz Company has taken a majority stake in Petrosoyuz, a leading Russian maker of ketchup, condiments and sauces....
France's Groupe Danone and Japan's Yakult Honsha have today (Tuesday) announced plans for a joint venture in India....
France's Groupe Danone has announced a new management structure for the Asia-Pacific region....
H.J. Heinz Company has applied to Russia's antitrust watchdog to buy a stake in Petrosoyuz, a major manufacturer of sauces and spreads, according to a report in business daily Vedomosti today (Friday)...
The Food and Drink Federation today (Friday) launched the Lifestyle and Dietary Trends Industry Group, bringing together key players in the increasingly important area of enhanced nutrition and so-cal...
French group Danone has today (Thursday) reported like for like sales growth of 5.1% in the first quarter of 2005....
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020