US: Heinz Leamington tomato growers to get $1.8m payout
The Leamington plant contributed to 200,000 Heinz tomatoes annually
H.J Heinz Co. has announced it will compensate 43 tomato growers that supplied its Leamington plant following last year's announcement of the plant's closure.
Growers supplied 200,000 tons of Heinz tomatoes annually. Production from three plants Heinz said it would close - in Leamington, Florence and Pocatello - will move to other Heinz plants in North America when the Leamington site closes on 27 June. At the time the closures were announced, Heinz said they were essential in maximising business efficiency and effectiveness.
A spokesperson for the company today (28 January) told just-food: "In recognition of the long standing partnership and mutual respect between our company and all 43 local tomato growers in the Leamington area, Heinz is pleased to confirm that the growers have unanimously accepted a goodwill payment by Heinz."
According to a report on CNBC, the compensation amount totals US$1.8m, but Heinz did not comment on this.
"Although the terms of the contract required no payment, Heinz felt that a goodwill payment would help offset costs incurred by some growers who had already begun to prepare for next year's tomato crop," he added.
He did not comment on whether growers for the other sites facing closure would be eligible for the same payout.
H. J. Heinz Company - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, produ...
H. J. Heinz Company - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed ...
- On the move: What's in store from Tesco's new CEO?
- Focus: Lindt plays safe with Russell Stover buy
- just the answer: Birds Eye UK Margaret Jobling
- On the money: Steady as she goes at Cloetta
- Comment: ConAgra failing to address core issues
- Ferrero seals deal for hazelnut firm Oltan
- Campbell issues warning on 2014/15 fiscal year
- Premier launches Oxo pots range in UK
- Universal Robina to buy biscuit firm Griffin's
- Genius secures listings in French supermarkets