EUROPE: Heinz to close two plants
Heinz said moves would help "accelerate growth"
Heinz has announced plans to close two plants in Europe as the US food giant continues to restructure its business after last year's sale to 3G Capital and Berkshire Hathaway.
The ketchup manufacturer has set out proposals to shut a factory in Turnhout in Belgium and a site in Seesen in Germany.
The Turnhout plant makes a range of foodservice single portion and bulk sauce packs, while the Seesen plant makes Heinz Fridge Packs of beans and pasta. It also makes infant feeding tray meals.
Heinz intends for production at the Turnhout facility to move to a plant in Telford in the UK. Manufacturing at Seesen would move to co-packers.
The company, which said the closures would lead to the loss of around 350 jobs, would "consolidate manufacturing and eliminate excess capacity".
Heinz added: "Our proposal to consolidate manufacturing across Heinz Europe, if implemented, would be a critical step in our plan to ensure we are operating as efficiently and effectively as possible to become more competitive in a challenging environment, and to accelerate the company's future growth."
Since the takeover of Heinz last year, the company has revamped parts of its business, which has led to plant closures in North America and jobs cut in the UK and Ireland. The changes to Heinz's North American business also saw the company invest further in five plants across the US and Canada.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Heinz Foodservice is focused on sales and promotion of its branded condiments, sauces, soups and tomato products targeting full-service, quick-serve and non-commercial restaurants. The company offers ...
The principal strategy of Heinz México SA de CV involves targeting its sales towards the consumer foodservice industry and establishing successful alliances with large chained consumer foodservice ope...
Heinz was acquired in 2013 by 3G Capital and Berkshire Hathaway in a US$28 billion deal. The company will receive significantly greater resources to expand its presence in emerging markets where it ha...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis