FINLAND/EU: Helsinki best bet for new European Food Authority
"Helsinki is the best place for the job." This is how Pertti Salolainen, Finnish ambassador to the UK, summed up his stance on the race currently under way to host the new European Food Authority. Finland is fast emerging as the main contender, although Spain and Italy have proposed Barcelona and Parma respectively.The exact responsibilities of the new agency have yet to be finalised. It will certainly focus on regaining and maintaining consumer confidence in food safety, which is low in a number of Member States following outbreaks such as BSE and dioxin in recent years. Another priority will be risk assessment, and the Authority will make recommendations to national authorities to help them avert food safety crises - and deal with them if they occur. Responsibility for enforcement and legislation will remain with the Commission.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review