USA: Herbal stimulant can be lethal, warns University of California
The University of California yesterday (7 November) released the results of research into the herbal stimulant ephedra and issued a warning that it is, in some cases, lethal.Used globally by millions for weight loss and bodybuilding, ephedra, or ma huang, has been found to have caused around 1,000 health complications, heart attacks, strokes and seizures and at least 54 deaths, all in otherwise healthy people. The US Food and Drug Administration is considering restricting the sale of the herb in health stores, where it is often packaged in products such as
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea