USA: Herbal stimulant can be lethal, warns University of California
The University of California yesterday (7 November) released the results of research into the herbal stimulant ephedra and issued a warning that it is, in some cases, lethal.Used globally by millions for weight loss and bodybuilding, ephedra, or ma huang, has been found to have caused around 1,000 health complications, heart attacks, strokes and seizures and at least 54 deaths, all in otherwise healthy people. The US Food and Drug Administration is considering restricting the sale of the herb in health stores, where it is often packaged in products such as
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review