US: Hershey "confident" on antioxidant labelling despite lawsuit
Kashin alleges that Hershey's labelling “fails to meet the minimum nutritional requirement” for such claims to be made
US confectionery giant Hershey has said it is "confident" in its product labelling, despite facing a lawsuit in the US over antioxidant labelling claims made on its two of its products.
Claimant Leon Khasin filed the lawsuit earlier this year over claims Hershey "misled" consumers through labelling its Special Dark Cocoa and Special Dark Kisses products as providing a natural source of flavanol antioxidants.
According to Court House News, the claimant said he would not have purchased the products in question "had he known the truth about these products and had they been properly labelled in compliance with the labelling regulations".
Kashin alleges Hershey's labelling "fails to meet the minimum nutritional requirement" for such claims to be made and that it violates several Californian laws.
A spokesperson for Hershey said: "We are confident that our product labelling and consumer materials about flavanol antioxidants are factual and supported by hundreds of scientific studies.
"The benefits of flavanol antioxidants are well-established and widely recognised amongst food scientists and the nutrition community. We believe it's important to let consumers know about the abundance of scientific evidence supporting the benefits of flavanol antioxidants in cocoa and chocolate."
Campbell Soup Co. became the third major multinational to invest in the buoyant organic baby food sector in a month with a deal to buy US firm Plum Organics. Danone is another of the three food giants...
Plum Organics this week joined Happy Family and Ella's Kitchen as three organic baby food brands set to have new, multinational owners. Campbell Soup Co. is to buy Plum, joining Danone and Hain Celest...
Hershey has opened its R&D centre in Shanghai as part of plans to rapidly grow in Asia....
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom