US: Hershey sales growth quickens in Q4
Hershey "reclaimed leadership" of US candy, mint and gum sector in 2013, the company said
Hershey president and CEO J.P. Bilbrey said today (30 January) the US confectionery giant had "ended 2013 strongly" after fourth-quarter sales and underlying earnings beat internal expectations.
Fourth quarter net sales increased 11.7% to US$1.96bn. Adjusted earnings per share, excluding items including M&A costs, as well as pension and restructuring charges were $0.86, compared to $0.72 in 2012.
The consensus forecasts among Wall Street analysts were for net sales to grow 8% and earnings to hit $0.86.
Bilbrey said "solid volume growth in North America and in international markets" helped Hershey's quarterly sales.
Net income in the quarter to the end of December was up 24.1% at $186m.
In 2013, net sales rose 7.6% to $7.15bn. Adjusted earnings per share were $3.72, up from $3.24 in 2012.
Net income for the year was also up 24.1%, rising to $820.4m.
Bilbrey said Hershey had "reclaimed leadership" of the US candy, mint and gum sector. He also pointed to Hershey's share of China's chocolate market growing above 10%.
Hershey has forecast a 5-7% increase in net sales and a 9-11% rise in adjusted earnings per share in 2014.
The Hershey Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Canadean's "The Hershey Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contain...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Hershey is poised for ongoing growth with a raft of new products about to be or recently launched. It is also becoming increasingly aggressive at targeting international markets to overcome what has l...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Greencore expands UK, US sales
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits