US: Hershey sales growth quickens in Q4
Hershey "reclaimed leadership" of US candy, mint and gum sector in 2013, the company said
Hershey president and CEO J.P. Bilbrey said today (30 January) the US confectionery giant had "ended 2013 strongly" after fourth-quarter sales and underlying earnings beat internal expectations.
Fourth quarter net sales increased 11.7% to US$1.96bn. Adjusted earnings per share, excluding items including M&A costs, as well as pension and restructuring charges were $0.86, compared to $0.72 in 2012.
The consensus forecasts among Wall Street analysts were for net sales to grow 8% and earnings to hit $0.86.
Bilbrey said "solid volume growth in North America and in international markets" helped Hershey's quarterly sales.
Net income in the quarter to the end of December was up 24.1% at $186m.
In 2013, net sales rose 7.6% to $7.15bn. Adjusted earnings per share were $3.72, up from $3.24 in 2012.
Net income for the year was also up 24.1%, rising to $820.4m.
Bilbrey said Hershey had "reclaimed leadership" of the US candy, mint and gum sector. He also pointed to Hershey's share of China's chocolate market growing above 10%.
Hershey has forecast a 5-7% increase in net sales and a 9-11% rise in adjusted earnings per share in 2014.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The Hershey Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Hershey is poised for ongoing growth with a raft of new products about to be or recently launched. It is also becoming increasingly aggressive at targeting international markets to overcome what has l...
Hershey has intensified its international market expansion, although the process remains slow paced and largely organic. It mainly targets the Asia Pacific and European markets, while delivering high ...
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Bird flu leads Dutch to stop poultry distribution
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Arla eyes infant formula firms with lactose plant
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report