US: Hershey sales growth quickens in Q4
Hershey "reclaimed leadership" of US candy, mint and gum sector in 2013, the company said
Hershey president and CEO J.P. Bilbrey said today (30 January) the US confectionery giant had "ended 2013 strongly" after fourth-quarter sales and underlying earnings beat internal expectations.
Fourth quarter net sales increased 11.7% to US$1.96bn. Adjusted earnings per share, excluding items including M&A costs, as well as pension and restructuring charges were $0.86, compared to $0.72 in 2012.
The consensus forecasts among Wall Street analysts were for net sales to grow 8% and earnings to hit $0.86.
Bilbrey said "solid volume growth in North America and in international markets" helped Hershey's quarterly sales.
Net income in the quarter to the end of December was up 24.1% at $186m.
In 2013, net sales rose 7.6% to $7.15bn. Adjusted earnings per share were $3.72, up from $3.24 in 2012.
Net income for the year was also up 24.1%, rising to $820.4m.
Bilbrey said Hershey had "reclaimed leadership" of the US candy, mint and gum sector. He also pointed to Hershey's share of China's chocolate market growing above 10%.
Hershey has forecast a 5-7% increase in net sales and a 9-11% rise in adjusted earnings per share in 2014.
The Hershey Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
The company is looking to continue its strategy of “predictable, profitable and sustainable North American business”. In order to reach this goal, Hershey is investing more heavily in advertising and ...
About Confectionery The Confectionery market in the US is comprised of chocolates, sugar confectionery, and gum. In 2013, the Chocolate segment was the leader in the Confectionery market in the US fol...
Confectionery comprises of chocolate, sugar confectionery, and gum. Cocoa and sugar are the raw materials for chocolate and latex is the raw material used for gum. Many new varieties of confectionery ...
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom