CHINA: Hershey to trial Jolly Rancher brand
Hershey has revealed it will trial another of its international brands, Jolly Rancher candy, in China this year.
The US confectionery giant, which has made a big push in China in recent years through organic expansion and M&A, is to test Jolly Rancher in the market.
Bert Alfonso, president of Hershey's international business, told the Consumer Analyst Group of New York conference last week the company is "planning to pilot Jolly Rancher" in China.
Hershey has five "global" brands - Jolly Rancher, Ice Breakers, Reese's, Kisses and its namesake brand.
It already sells the three global chocolate brands in China - Hershey's, Reese's and Kisses - while last year it tested Ice Breakers in the market.
In December, Hershey struck a deal to buy an 80% stake in local confectioner Shanghai Golden Monkey.
In May, the company opened an R&D centre in Shanghai to serve China and other markets in Asia. That month, Hershey launched a confectionery brand outside the US for the first time with the roll out of Lancaster milk candies.
Jolly Rancher is already on sale in Mexico. It made its debut in India in December when Hershey launched a range of Jolly Rancher lollipops.
Nestle is aiming to grab sales in the US liquorice category through its latest NPD for candy brand Sweetarts....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report