US: High commodity costs weigh on Michael Foods
Michael Foods has been acquired by Post Holdings.
In a set of preliminary data for the quarter to 29 March, Michael Foods predicted EBITDA would reach US$48m, compared to US$67.2m for the same period last year.
Net sales are set to hit $474m, lower than the $484.3m Michael Foods booked last year.
President and CEO Jim Dwyer said: "Our Q1 2014 results were unfavourably impacted by record high dairy costs and high soybean meal commodity costs. Also, weather-related disruptions to our manufacturing facilities, customer distribution centres and transportation-related costs as a whole were a significant headwind for the quarter. We have announced and executed various pricing actions across our businesses to reflect the current cost environment."
Earlier today (17 April) Post announced it had struck a deal to buy Michael Foods in for US$2.45bn deal. There had been speculation in recent days that Tyson Foods was also interested in the business.
First-quarter results for Michael Foods will be announced in May. Post said it expects the takeover to go through by the end of June.
Post Holdings, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Tyson Foods, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offeri...
Synopsis Canadean's "Michael Foods Group, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019