High-risk Russian retail remains promising prize
The surprise announcement that French retail giant Carrefour will exit Russia throws into sharp relief the number of challenges facing retailers in the market. While growing disposable local income had fostered the development of modern retailing, the dramatic impact of the economic downturn has put the spending power of Russian consumers under pressure. Retailers operating in the market have come in for a bumpy landing. Nevertheless, Russia still offers the greatest long-term growth prospects in Europe. Katy Humphries reports.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Interview: A2 Milk Co. chair firm's rapid rise
- Unilever 'giving serious thought to split'
- Nestle launches global sugar target
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Mead Johnson acquires Bega Cheese capacity
- ABF sees further grocery revival