High-risk Russian retail remains promising prize
The surprise announcement that French retail giant Carrefour will exit Russia throws into sharp relief the number of challenges facing retailers in the market. While growing disposable local income had fostered the development of modern retailing, the dramatic impact of the economic downturn has put the spending power of Russian consumers under pressure. Retailers operating in the market have come in for a bumpy landing. Nevertheless, Russia still offers the greatest long-term growth prospects in Europe. Katy Humphries reports.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast
- Unilever invests in Dutch meat substitute project
- Lactalis fails to hit threshold to delist Parmalat
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry