AUS: Higher milk payments trim Murray Goulburn's profits
Murray Goulburn underlined the higher price paid to dairy farmers
Australian dairy co-op Murray Goulburn has posted a fall in underlying half-year profits, citing higher milk payments.
Underlying profit after tax for the six months to the end of December was A$47m (US$42.3m), compared to A$54m a year earlier.
The co-op highlighted a 31% increase in the weighted-average available farmgate milk price. Murray Goulburn said it had paid its dairy farmer suppliers A$225m more than the previous period.
The company said reported profit after tax grew 17.6% to A$61m.
MD Gary Helou said: "Global demand for dairy foods remains strong. Consequently prices for key dairy ingredients such as whole milk powder have stayed at near record levels for an unprecedented period and prices for cheese and butter have strengthened resulting in higher returns.
"Our continued focus on improving performance through reducing costs and investing to support innovation and value growth, has also contributed to the first half result and increasing farmgate returns."
Sales revenue increased 18.3% to A$1.34bn. Helou pointed to growth in international markets and added: "The continuing strength of demand in international markets is likely to underpin the continuation of robust dairy ingredients prices in the next two quarters."
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Food industry news of week: GMOs, Arla, Mondelez
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report