US: Hillshire Brands adds to Sara Lee cake range
Hillshire Brands has added a Lemon Pound Cake to its Sara Lee brand, as well as making the label's signature Butter Pound Cake more moist.
The US food group said the new lemon and butter varieties will be available at grocery stores nationwide in the US.
"Based on our research, consumers prefer the updated, moister Butter Pound Cake," said Kanika White, senior brand manager at Sara Lee desserts. The new lemon cake will carry a suggested retail price of US$3.99.
Earlier this month, Hillshire Brands forecast flat sales for its new fiscal year and operating segment to be "flat to down", after the group booked a drop in full-year operating profits.
DOWNERS GROVE, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
Sara Lee® brand today announced the launch of its Lemon Pound Cake variety, the first new pound cake loaf in more than a decade, as well as an update to its famous Butter Pound Cake, which is now more moist. Available at grocery retailers throughout the United States, the new Lemon variety and Butter Pound Cake meet today’s consumer’s taste preferences.
“Sara Lee brand produces America’s favorite frozen pound cake*, and we’re in the process of expanding upon its rich heritage by providing new and delicious varieties we hope will become household favorites,” said Kanika White, senior brand manager, Sara Lee Desserts. “Our new Lemon Pound Cake is a twist on an American classic – it tastes great alone or is delicious dressed up with fresh berries and a little whipped cream.”
Sara Lee Butter Pound Cake is now more moist, and has the same great taste consumers have enjoyed for the past six decades.
“We listened to feedback from our consumers and set out to make our beloved Sara Lee Pound Cake even better,” said White. “Based on our research, consumers prefer the updated, moister Butter Pound Cake.”
The Sara Lee Pound Cake portfolio now consists of the following varieties:
- Sara Lee Lemon Pound Cake – New flavor made with real lemon juice and is the first new loaf variety in more than 10 years.
- Sara Lee Butter Pound Cake – The loaf has been updated to increase moistness, while retaining the same homemade taste of its predecessor. The product is available in regular and family sizes, which are 10.75 ounces and 16 ounces, respectively.
- Sara Lee Light & Dreamy Pound Cake – Newly named, this loaf contains 80 calories per serving. It has 100 percent less cholesterol, as well as 55 percent less fat than Butter Pound Cake.
- Sara Lee Pound Cake Slices – Recently introduced, single-serve and pre-cut pound cake slices are portioned and individually packaged to ensure freshness and rich flavor. Slices are available in Original and Double Chocolate flavors.
Sara Lee Pound Cake products are sold at grocery retailers throughout the country. Average suggested retail price for the regular size of Sara Lee Butter Pound Cake is $3.99 and $5.39 for family size. Available in regular size, average suggested retail price for Lemon Pound Cake and Light & Dreamy Pound Cake is $3.99. Average suggested retail price for Sara Lee Pound Cake Slices is $3.99.
To access the latest product news and updates on promotions from Sara Lee Desserts, join the brand on Facebook (www.Facebook.com/SaraLeeDesserts) or follow @SaraLeeDesserts on Twitter (www.Twitter.com/SaraLeeDesserts). For additional product details, information on where to buy and recipes and tips for customizing Sara Lee Pound Cakes and other Sara Lee Desserts products, visit www.SaraLeeDesserts.com.
*Source: SymphonyIRIGroup Custom Database, Total U.S. Multi-Outlet, 52 weeks ending August 19, 2012
Original source: Hillshire Brands
Hillshire Brands has agreed to sell its Australia and New Zealand bakery business, Kitchens of Sara Lee, to McCain Foods....
- Focus: ConAgra own-label exit plan is about growth
- How the CGF plans to halve global food waste
- Focus: Will synergies lift Ahold Delhaize in US?
- IRI – The opportunity of range optimisation
- 10 Things to Learn - JBS's acquisition of Moy Park
- ConAgra confirms private-label exit
- Kraft Heinz unveils management structure
- Kellogg eyes trends with product launches
- CMA "accepts" Muller's revised Dairy Crest offer
- Kraft faces lawsuit over 'natural' claims