AUS/US: Hillshire Brands to sell Aussie bakery unit to McCain Foods
The US group, formed after Sara Lee split in two earlier this year, struck a deal to sell the frozen bakery and desserts business to McCain for A$82m. (US$85m). McCain will also get licensing rights to the Sara Lee trademark in relation to bakery in Australia.
The deal is scheduled to close in the first half of 2013. No fresh bakery brands are affected.
Before the split, Sara Lee Corp. offloaded a number of its bakery assets in the US and overseas but in February said would keep the Australian bakery business.
However, Hillshire CEO Sean Connolly said today (19 December): "The sale of this business enables Hillshire Brands to focus on driving growth and innovation in our retail and foodservice segments in North America."
For Hillshire, the deal offers an opportunity to focus on its core branded meat business. However, there has also been speculation that Hillshire itself could become a takeover target.
This is only likely to increase following the disposal of non-core assets. The group was not immediately available for further comment on the McCain deal.
Steve Yung, MD of McCain's operations in Australia and New Zealand, said: "Sara Lee will be a great addition to our family of frozen foods, offering our customers an expanded range of products across desserts, meals and snack occasions. Sara Lee is a recognised and trusted brand that is highly complementary to our business."
US breakfast cereal group Post Holdings kicks off a relatively quieter week of results with its half-year numbers on Monday. On Tuesday, meat giants Marfig and JBS will report on how it fared in the f...
McCain Foods will have to offload the Lutosa retail brand in Europe after the EU looked into the impact of the Canadian giant's acquisition of the business from rival PinguinLutosa....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019