FRANCE: Hollande calls for European action on ready-meal labels
French President François Hollande has demanded EU labelling requirements for meat in ready meals.
"These last few days have seen a lot of questions asked and, not to put it more strongly, fraud, because there was no labelling," he told the country's food producers.
Earlier this month, following a meeting between industry and government, it was announced France's laws on food labelling and traceability would change. No concrete details of the plans have yet been announced.
Since then, Intermarché and Carrefour have announced they are to source all their beef in France.
Intermarché already has an extensive processing and manufacturing capacity: half the total sales volume comes from the retailer's own facilities. For the past 35 years it has operated abattoirs and food manufacturing sites across its range.
The volumes involved are substantial. Intermarché meat subsidiary Jean Rozé slaughters and processes 120,000 tonnes of beef a year, while a company
spokesperson told just-food its meat-based ready meals manufacturing output is 43,000 tonnes a year.
With effect from March, the multiple's Jean Rozé-branded ready meals will carry a 100% French beef label that will start appearing on-pack next weekend.
Carrefour SA Carrefour Sabançi Ticaret Merkezi aims to increase its share in Turkey by offering high-quality products at reasonable prices. To this end, the company aims to increase its presence throu...
Carrefour-Marinopoulos had a challenging year in 2012 in Greece, with the global brand owner Carrefour (France) withdrawing from the joint venture and leaving all its activities in the country. The co...
After the reorganisation of the group in 2010, when a significant number of hypermarkets and supermarkets were closed and 16 supermarkets were transferred to Group Mestdagh, Carrefour gradually contin...
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details