CHINA: Hong Kong "approves WH Group listing plan"
WH Group "planning IPO"
WH Group, formerly Shuanghui International, has declined to comment on reports that it is preparing to list in Hong Kong.
According to a report in The Wall Street Journal, the company started investor meetings today (31 March) as it kicked off its premarket process in order to gauge investor appetite for an initial public offering. The WSJ said WH Group has secured approval from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange for the listing.
Citing unidentified sources, the newspaper said WH Group hopes to raise US$5-6bn, or 20 times its forecast earnings for 2014.
A spokesperson for the group told just-food the Chinese pork processor was not commenting on whether it plans to list.
Industry pundits believe much of the proceeds would be used to deleverage WH Group's balance sheet. China's largest pork group raised its debt burden in order to fund last year's takeover of US pork giant Smithfield Foods, which it acquired for $4.7bn.
In acquiring Smithfield, WH Group became the world's largest pork firm and secured supplies of US hogs to meet growing demand for pork in China.
However, while a swelling middle class has resulted in dynamic growth in the pork sector, the industry is faced with a number of challenges. Notably, recent events - such as last year's Jiapingtang River disaster where 16,000 dead pigs were found in the water - have meant food safety issues remain centre stage in China.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Ambient Meat category in United States, analyzing consumption volumes and values. It also provides indispensable data on distribution cha...
Smithfield Foods, the US pork producer owned by China's WH Group, reported a leap in third-quarter earnings on higher meat prices and increased packaged sales....
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Chilled Raw Packaged Meat - Processed category in United States, analyzing consumption volumes and values at segment level. It also provi...
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Chilled Raw Packaged Meat - Whole Cuts category in United States, analyzing consumption volumes and values at segment level. It also prov...
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Cooked Meats - Counter category in United States, analyzing consumption volumes and values. It also provides indispensable data on distri...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits