SPAIN: Horse meat DNA detected in Spanish burgers
Horse meat scandal spreads to Spain
Undeclared horse meat DNA has been found in Spanish burgers, a leading consumer organisation revealed today (29 January).
Following the discovery of horse meat in burgers sold at retailers in the UK and Ireland, Spanish consumer watchdog Organización de consumidores y usuarios (OCU) undertook independent tests to examine whether horse meat had entered the supply chain of retailers in Spain.
According to the organisation, two of 20 products tested came back positive for horse meat. These products were on sale at Alipende and Eroski, the OCU said.
A spokesperson for the consumer body told just-food that the organisation was concerned because the burgers labels, which claim to be 100% beef, "deceived" consumers.
The spokesperson added: "With this, you must think can you trust the labels of products?"
Alipende and Eroski were not available for comment at time of press.
According to Irish food safety officials, the horse meat DNA in UK and Ireland has been tracked to a filler ingredient from Poland. However, Spanish food safety officials have been helping Ireland's Food Safety Authority with its inquiry.
The poor financial figures in Grupo Eroski’s 2011 annual report have resulted in the company taking new measures in order to reduce its high levels of debt. Among the most important measures being tak...
Following the acquisition of seven hypermarkets in the Madrid region which were previously owned by Eroski, E Leclerc Grupo is focusing its strategy on the opening of new outlets....
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Findus: "No sale process underway" in UK
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Hovis CFO Michael Kennedy exits
- Weston Foods acquires Creative Occasions
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019