SPAIN: Horse meat DNA detected in Spanish burgers
Horse meat scandal spreads to Spain
Undeclared horse meat DNA has been found in Spanish burgers, a leading consumer organisation revealed today (29 January).
Following the discovery of horse meat in burgers sold at retailers in the UK and Ireland, Spanish consumer watchdog Organización de consumidores y usuarios (OCU) undertook independent tests to examine whether horse meat had entered the supply chain of retailers in Spain.
According to the organisation, two of 20 products tested came back positive for horse meat. These products were on sale at Alipende and Eroski, the OCU said.
A spokesperson for the consumer body told just-food that the organisation was concerned because the burgers labels, which claim to be 100% beef, "deceived" consumers.
The spokesperson added: "With this, you must think can you trust the labels of products?"
Alipende and Eroski were not available for comment at time of press.
According to Irish food safety officials, the horse meat DNA in UK and Ireland has been tracked to a filler ingredient from Poland. However, Spanish food safety officials have been helping Ireland's Food Safety Authority with its inquiry.
The poor financial figures in Grupo Eroski’s 2011 annual report have resulted in the company taking new measures in order to reduce its high levels of debt. Among the most important measures being tak...
Following the acquisition of seven hypermarkets in the Madrid region which were previously owned by Eroski, E Leclerc Grupo is focusing its strategy on the opening of new outlets....
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- Briefing: Expansion agenda of Japan's food majors
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Japan's Sanyo takes stake in Olam's food biz
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Other Dairy in Russia