US: Hostess Brands to close NYC bakery
The New York City site is the second announced for closure in six months
US bakery group Hostess Brands is to close a production site in New York City, a move that could affect 200 jobs.
The company said on Friday (8 October) that the plant, located in Jamaica in the borough of Queens was built in the 1870s and any moves to modernise the site would have been "difficult and expensive". Hostess makes bread under its Wonder and Home Pride brands at the factory, as well as private-label lines.
The bakery, which is set to close in January, has around 200 plant and transport staff. Hostess also employs around 500 workers in New York whose jobs will not be affected, the company said.
"It is always a difficult decision to close one of our facilities, but during this slow economic recovery, we must carefully evaluate all options and take prudent steps to make our system more efficient and balance productivity and demand,” said Hostess CEO Brian Driscoll.
Hostess is controlled by private-equity firm Ripplewood Holdings and emerged in 2009 after the bankruptcy of Interstate Bakeries Corp. In April, Hostess announced plans to close a bakery in Ohio.
US baker Hostess Brands has launched a whole wheat bread under its flagship white bread brand, Wonder....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019