US: Hostess Brands to close NYC bakery
The New York City site is the second announced for closure in six months
US bakery group Hostess Brands is to close a production site in New York City, a move that could affect 200 jobs.
The company said on Friday (8 October) that the plant, located in Jamaica in the borough of Queens was built in the 1870s and any moves to modernise the site would have been "difficult and expensive". Hostess makes bread under its Wonder and Home Pride brands at the factory, as well as private-label lines.
The bakery, which is set to close in January, has around 200 plant and transport staff. Hostess also employs around 500 workers in New York whose jobs will not be affected, the company said.
"It is always a difficult decision to close one of our facilities, but during this slow economic recovery, we must carefully evaluate all options and take prudent steps to make our system more efficient and balance productivity and demand,” said Hostess CEO Brian Driscoll.
Hostess is controlled by private-equity firm Ripplewood Holdings and emerged in 2009 after the bankruptcy of Interstate Bakeries Corp. In April, Hostess announced plans to close a bakery in Ohio.
US baker Hostess Brands has launched a whole wheat bread under its flagship white bread brand, Wonder....
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- PepsiCo "engaging" with Indofood on child labour
- Campaigners attack UK child obesity plan
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights