US: Hostess deal faces block by government objection
Flowers Foods' US$360m offer for the Wonder, Nature's Pride, Merita, Home Pride and Butternut brands, includes 28 bakeries
Hostess, which last year went into liquidation following a bakery union strike that paralysed its operations, agreed a deal late last month to sell its Wonder, Nature's Pride, Merita, Home Pride and Butternut brands, includes 28 bakeries and around 28 depots, to Flowers Foods for US$360m. The transaction now requires approval from the bankruptcy court overseeing Hostess' liquidation.
Attorney Preet Bharara, however, filed an objection in the US Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan this week, claiming the deal frees the buyer of liabilities and limits the government's ability to regulate.
"The proposed sale order, as currently drafted, would diminish or eliminate the government's ability to enforce generally applicable police and regulatory statutes and regulations, and diminish or eliminate the buyer's and debtor's obligations to comply with environmental, health and safety laws," Bharara said in the filing.
A hearing for the proposed transactions is scheduled for 19 March.
Hostess could not be reached for comment at the time of going to press.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details