US: Hostess deal faces block by government objection
Flowers Foods' US$360m offer for the Wonder, Nature's Pride, Merita, Home Pride and Butternut brands, includes 28 bakeries
Hostess, which last year went into liquidation following a bakery union strike that paralysed its operations, agreed a deal late last month to sell its Wonder, Nature's Pride, Merita, Home Pride and Butternut brands, includes 28 bakeries and around 28 depots, to Flowers Foods for US$360m. The transaction now requires approval from the bankruptcy court overseeing Hostess' liquidation.
Attorney Preet Bharara, however, filed an objection in the US Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan this week, claiming the deal frees the buyer of liabilities and limits the government's ability to regulate.
"The proposed sale order, as currently drafted, would diminish or eliminate the government's ability to enforce generally applicable police and regulatory statutes and regulations, and diminish or eliminate the buyer's and debtor's obligations to comply with environmental, health and safety laws," Bharara said in the filing.
A hearing for the proposed transactions is scheduled for 19 March.
Hostess could not be reached for comment at the time of going to press.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Bread in US$ Million. The report provides separate comprehensive analytics for US, Canada, Japan, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Rest of World....
UK private-equity firm Actis has acquired a 30% stake in Egypt-based snack food group Edita Food Industries....
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- Briefing: Expansion agenda of Japan's food majors
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Japan's Sanyo takes stake in Olam's food biz
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Other Dairy in Russia