US: Hostess expects to complete sale within months
Hostess auction nears
Hostess Brands has indicated that it expects to complete the auction process selling off its brands and assets within a matter of months.
The Twinkies maker wound down its operations and went into administration in November when it insisted a national strike organised by BCTGM union "crippled" the already struggling company.
Since then, Hostess has received "hundreds" of expressions of interest for its iconic brands and production facilities, a spokesperson for the group told just-food today (2 January). "There is interest in the facilities, though clearly the brands are of greater interest," the spokesperson said.
The spokesperson revealed the group expects to set up a stalking horse process with around six bidders, the names of which will be announced later this month.
"We expect to select and name the stalking horse bidders and then the formal bidding process would take four to six weeks," the spokesperson said.
Reports have identified the likes of Flowers Foods, Kroger and - most recently - Bimbo as potential bidders. According to recent reports, Bimbo would look to snap up the Hostess business in its entirety. The spokesperson did not rule out the possibility of selling off the business as a whole. "It is a case of looking at what the best offer is," the spokesperson said.
US breakfast cereal group Post Holdings kicks off a relatively quieter week of results with its half-year numbers on Monday. On Tuesday, meat giants Marfig and JBS will report on how it fared in the f...
UK private-equity firm Actis has acquired a 30% stake in Egypt-based snack food group Edita Food Industries....
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)