US: Hostess sale will "most likely" lead to break up
Hostess likely to be broken up
The sale of Hostess Brands will most likely result in a break-up of the company, a spokesperson for the group told just-food.
The maker of Wonder Bread and Twinkies wound down its operations and entered administration in November, when management insisted a national strike "crippled" the already struggling company.
The group has begun a stalking horse process and plans to name between four and six stalking horse bidders by the middle of this month, the spokesperson told just-food.
Hostess confirmed it has received "hundreds" of expressions of interest in its iconic brands and assets.
According to reports, Bimbo USA, the US unit of Mexico's Grupo Bimbo, has launched a bid to take over the business in its entirety.
Although Hostess declined to comment on the specifics of any single bid, the spokesperson did reveal the most likely outcome of the sale process will see the Hostess business broken up and sold off piece-by-piece.
"The most likely scenario is that a number of buyers will each purchase portions of the company. Theoretically, however, it is possible that everything could go to one bidder," the spokesperson said.
US breakfast cereal group Post Holdings kicks off a relatively quieter week of results with its half-year numbers on Monday. On Tuesday, meat giants Marfig and JBS will report on how it fared in the f...
UK private-equity firm Actis has acquired a 30% stake in Egypt-based snack food group Edita Food Industries....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019